Saturday, May 8, 2010

Bad Words

As an English teacher, I appreciate all words. But I never know quite how to deal with the "bad" words. George Carlin had a great monologue about the "seven dirty words" that cannot be aired on T.V. But these words, and many more in their category, are used with regularity in colloquial language of Americans of all ages. And since the "bad" words have simply been replaced by euphemisms that lead audiences to know exactly the bad words intended, avoiding the bad words sometimes calls even more attention to them. In my opinion, the "seven dirty words" would not include any of the ones on George Carlin's list. They would include such words as hate, ugly, stupid and any word used for destructive purposes. 

2 comments:

  1. Would it be kosher of me to list the seven bad words? And there are other words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, and yes I am aware of that. Rebel.

    ReplyDelete